Gift of Securities
Donating appreciated stocks or mutual funds is the most tax-effective way to make an outright gift during your lifetime or as part of a legacy gift.
When an individual sells an appreciated stock or mutual fund they are required to pay tax on 50 per cent of the capital gain. However, thanks to the Federal Budget of May 2006, if they donate the appreciated securities to charity, they pay no capital gains tax.
Benefits of making a gift of securities to BC Children's Hospital Foundation:
- A charitable tax receipt will be issued for the fair market value of the securities
- No capital gains tax owing if gifted to a public charity
- Satisfaction of seeing your donation put to good use
- A not-needed asset is removed from your portfolio and converted to a charitable gift
- Opportunity to create a lasting charitable legacy through estate planning
How to Give
Transferring your appreciated securities to BC Children's Hospital Foundation is easy. Please complete the step-by-step instructions using our Securities Gift Form and then give it to your broker to complete the transaction.
Contact Clivia Ng at 604-875-3679 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance or have any questions about this process.
Note: The information on this page can help facilitate discussions between you and your advisor. It is not intended as legal or financial advice. We encourage you to consult a qualified professional.