About Child Life at BCCH
Child Life Department at BC Children's Hospital
Child Life specialists at BC Children's Hospital strive to reduce the impact of stressful or traumatic life events and situations due to hospitalization and illness that affects the development, health, and well-being of children and families we serve.
At BC Children's Hospital there are 12 certified Child Life specialists and one Music Therapist.
Child Life helps kids and families to cope with distressing events through various interventions, including play. We embrace the power of play as a way to enhance the normal growth and development of infants, children and adolescents though assessment, intervention, prevention, advocacy and education. Providing play and other normal activities, such as art and music, can help with this coping process. Child Life specialists endeavour to meet each family's uniqueemotional and social needs.
The Child Life Department strives to make hospitalization a more positive experience. For example, the child life specialist prepares children, youth and families for life-altering events and upcoming procedures.
Child life programs typically offer several services to address the social and emotional needs of children, youth and families:
- therapeutic and recreational play opportunities;
- age-appropriate activities and explanations;
- preparation before and support during and after stressful events;
- opportunities for peer socialization;
- coping techniques, such as distraction, breathing, relaxation techniques, for procedures;
- coordination of holiday events, entertainment and special visitors;
- advocacy for family-centered care; and
- assistance with school re-entry.
For more information, please click on the link below:
BC Children's Hospital Website Link for the Child Life Department: