Donor Bill of Rights
To ensure that donors of BC Children’s Hospital Foundation have full confidence in the organization and its activities, the following donors’ rights are recognized. All donors have the following rights:
- To be informed of our mission, of the way we intend to use donated resources, and of our capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes;
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on our governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgement in its stewardship responsibilities;
- To have access to our most recent financial statements;
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they are given;
- To receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition;
- To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by the law;
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing our organization will be professional in nature;
- To be informed whether those seeking donations from our organization are volunteers, employees of BC Children’s Hospital Foundation, or hired solicitors;
- To expect that BC Children’s Hospital Foundation will not share or sell a mailing list that includes the donor’s name;
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
Upholding high standards in operational excellence
BC Children’s Hospital Foundation has earned prestigious accreditation from Imagine Canada’s national Standards Program, which awards accreditation to charities and nonprofits demonstrating rigorous standards in five fundamental areas: board governance; financial accountability and transparency; fundraising; staff management; and volunteer involvement. Organizations receiving accreditation must first successfully complete an in-depth, peer-reviewed application process.
This accreditation reflects values that are part of our DNA, and that we’ve worked hard to uphold throughout our history, including accountability, transparency, integrity and efficiency. We are pleased to be part of a group of Canadian organizations that have earned this symbol of trust demonstrating our values and commitments.
For more information, please visit: imaginecanada.ca/standards